I continues my Star Wars run with another more recent book, Heir To The Jedi by Kevin Hearne. This book also falls into the new timeline category, though not necessarily part of the storyline. I guess it's going to be whatever the movie/tv show franchise runners decide they want to use. Anyhow. This book as released way back in March 2015.
HTTJ is all about Luke Skywalker, and that's why I decided to give it a chance. It's been a long time...honestly I can't remember the last time....a book was written that was solely about Luke. And it's the Luke that's in between the events of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. It's nice to get a fresh look at him at this point. He still doesn't know where he fits in all of this. Is he really supposed to be a Jedi? His abilities and powers in the Force are extremely limited. He hasn't even been talking to a dead guy yet. Ole Ben hasn't even bothered to whisper in his ear since he blew up Death Star 1.0. The Luke we see is very young, and that's something we haven't seen a long time.
This book is also told in the first person, all through Luke's eyes. That made me skittish at first. I rarely like first person books. It's creepy and limited. But, a few people manage to pull it off. Hearne did, and did it well. There is not flashing forward to when Luke knows better, and then flashing back to the real story. Instead, we just move through the story as Luke tells it to us.
This was a lot like how George Lucas originally envisioned Star Wars as The Adventures of Luke Skywalker. Going on an adventure with the future Jedi. And in case you're wondering, yes, R2-D2 is by his side the whole way.
Thanks for reading,
Darth Baptist
No comments:
Post a Comment