Monday, June 15, 2015

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Learned to Love the Podcast

I've been a late comer to the world of podcasts.  Not that I'm starting one.  I've just started getting addicted to them.
     Podcasts have been around for a while.  I'm not sure how long.  I could look it up, but really, it's not that important.  People have been recording their thoughts on audio and putting them out on the interwebs for people to hear.  But, I've mainly stayed away.  One of the great things about podcasts is that you can absorb information without reading, especially when you are not able to read (like driving or when you're at work).  Many are put together by folks who do a lot of research on the topic the podcast covers.
     About two years ago, I started listening to a couple of podcasts whenever the new ones were available, other than that, not that much.  About two months ago, I ran across a podcast on a subject I'm interested in, and decided to make it easy on myself by downloading a podcast app.  And the rest, as they say, is where it gets crazy.
     I subscribe now to a bunch of podcasts.  I mean a BUNCH.  Some are actually seminary lectures.  Others are history podcasts.   What I want to do today is share some of my favorite podcasts and maybe point you in the direction of something you may be interested in as well.  This post will be about the Christian podcasts I listen to.  I'll do another post later about my favorite history podcasts.

So, here we go.  These are in no particular order.

The Confessing Baptist Podcast
This year I've been seriously looking into Reformed Baptist theology and thinking.  I came across this podcast while looking for information on the subject.  Jason Delgado & Co. do a really good job on giving information, directing you to books and materials, and if you have questions, they respond really quick.  I'm still investigating and exploring, but this podcast has been a great help to me on this theological journey.

Church of the Geek Podcast
This is the first podcast I really started listening to.  This podcast has been around for nearly two years (I told you I was a late comer), and is right up my alley.  David and Brian do a great job discussing all things nerdy and geeky and how they relate to a Christian worldview.  I've listened to every episode so far, and several multiple times.       I've been a geeky nerd my entire life.  I spent a good bit of time hiding it because most Christians treat you like you have a third eye when you casually mention Star Wars or comics.  But this podcast is put together by two ministers.  I think their denomination is Geek or something like that.

5 Minutes in Church History
This podcast is more "big name" in Reformed circles, but it's an awesome podcast nonetheless.  Stephen Nichols covers a lot of church history that I never got in bible colleges.  I've learned something from each podcast I've listened to. That probably says more about my ignorance than anything else, but I think it's great.

Reformed Libertarian
This podcast is rather new.  All right, brand new.  One podcast new.  I'm really looking forward to this one as it launches.  In the first episode you are introduced to what "reformed libertarian" means and what the podcast will be all about.  If you are interested in traditional (not the political party) libertarian thought, Austrian economics and reformed theology, all wrapped into one podcast, then you'll be looking forward to listening, too.

Others that I've been getting a lot out of include: R. C. Sproul, Jr's, Jesus Changes Everything; James White's, The Dividing Line; and Steven Lawson's, The Expositor Podcast.  I think these are more well-known so I will not bother saying a lot about them.  i also listen to several lecture series made available as podcasts from Reformed Theological Seminary and Covenant Theological Seminary, but those aren't podcasts in the pure sense.

That's all for now.  Later this week I'll try to do a post on history podcasts.

Thanks for reading.

Darth Baptist


No comments:

Post a Comment